You’ve just installed your CCTV wireless home security system and you give a big sigh of relief. Finally, your family can be safe.
You’ve fortified your door jambs so that an elephant couldn’t kick it in. That rules out about half of the ways home invasions occur. You will sleep tight tonight!
I often get asked, “Listen, I’ve done everything possible to make my home safe. Could you go check everything over for me?” In almost half the installs, I find a fatal flaw that could cost the family their lives.
Let’s define safe:
- It is a state in which your home has been made bullet proof as it were. Doors cannot be kicked down. Nobody can enter through a window either because they have secure locks or sensitive sensors to detect any intruder.
- Motion sensors in the home set off a screaming hell if they detect anything moving.
- Should someone manage to evade all your systems like when you forget to turn the alarm on, you feel safe that your wireless video cameras will scare them away.
- Heat sensors detect unusual thermal activity.
- If you have spent the money, you have seismic sensors to detect vibrations in the ground like when a foot steps on the grass.
Therein lies the problem.
You have a feeling of security and this will blind you to something obvious. Your CCTV camera system must be made easy to see. What they are made to do, like any other camera, is to record whatever comes in their view. It will do this faithfully day and night.
What some people fail to remember is that any home security device will not frighten any intruder if it cannot be seen or the intruder hasn’t been warned that there is video surveillance:
- Even with stickers on the doors and windows warning of the security system, there is nothing more hair raising for a thief than to see the blinking evil little red eye of a video camera.
- Make sure that the presence of your wireless home security system is well advertised all over the outside of your house and make doubly sure that your CCTV equipment is readily noticeable and that it has some way of letting everyone coming near it know that it is on and that they are being recorded.
- Make sure that your cameras are easily visible. Some people forget this and hide their CCTV devices. Unfortunately, the odd time, an intruder does get in and the faithful little hidden camera records the crime in progress. It will make sure that the police will have a clear view of who murdered you in your bed.
In conclusion, make your wireless home security system showy and right in the face of anyone coming into your home. Don’t forget that it is equally important that casual visitors are made aware of your protective devices. You never know when a casual comment at a coffee shop by a plumber will result in an intrusion. Make sure they comment on how well fortified your premises is and how well watched electronically.
To be absolutely sure that you haven’t overlooked anything and that you are safe in your beds at night, get a dog. They are still man’s best friend and the most sensitive intruder detector on the planet. Old Rover will come through for you where the best electronics has failed.